Recipe by TaterBug! :)
I love black beans! This is my favorite recipe so far and I have tried many! It is very, very flavorful and authentic. Enjoy! After you try this recipe you will understand why it has an exclamation point!!
- 4 slices smoked bacon
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup poblano pepper, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tespoon tomato paste
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 4 cups dried black beans (rinsed and soaked in cold water overnight)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cumin, ground
- 1⁄2 tablespoon coriander, ground
- 2 1⁄2 quarts low sodium chicken broth (10 cups) or 2 1⁄2 quarts vegetable broth (10 cups)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large heavy bottomed sauce pan over medium heat, sauté bacon in canola oil until it renders most of its fat. Add vegetables and sauté, stirring occasionally, until tender and slightly caramelized.
- Drain water from beans. Add beans, spices, sugar and broth to the pan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook beans uncovered until completely tender (approximately 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours). Make sure beans are completely covered with liquid during cooking; you may need to add a little water.
- When beans are ready, strain and reserve cooking liquid. Return cooking liquid to the stove and simmer over medium heat until reduced by half. Stir beans back into the pot and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.