Recipe by carrie sheridan
this cake, from the 1950s, is not too sweet and the icing has the silkiest, smoothest texture and a great flavor - these cupcakes were the absolute favorites of my daughter's class when she was growing up
- 3⁄4 cup Crisco shortening, in a can
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups sifted flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease 2 9-inch cake pans with crisco and then cover with flour, shaking out the excess over the sink.
- Cream crisco and sugar in a mixer.
- Add eggs and beat well.
- Sift flour [you can just shake the flour through a sieve].
- Measure and sift flour again with the baking powder and salt.
- Mix milk with vanilla.
- In thirds, alternately add the flour mixture and then the milk mixture until it's all incorporated.
- Beat well until blisters form in the batter - at least 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into cake pans.
- Bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes.
- Cupcake pans bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Let cool.
- Frost with Chiffon Icing.