THIS. This is the recipe I have been searching for! This yellow cake is ridiculously delicious, bakes up beautifully and is delightfully moist. Thanks to Deb over at Smitten Kitchen for sharing this recipe! You can get two 9-inch round, 2-inch tall cake layers, 24 cupcakes, two 8-inch squares or a 9×13 single-layer cake. Cake flour substitution: Simply place 1 tablespoon corn starch in a measuring cup and fill the remainder with flour. Level and sift...it works perfectly!
My Private Note
2 layer 9
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups cake flour (not self-rising flour!)
- 2 tablespoons cake flour (not self-rising flour!)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 cups buttermilk, well-shaken (475 ml)
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F
- 2Butter two 9-inch round cake pans and line with circles of parchment paper, then butter parchment. (Alternately, you can use a cooking spray, either with just butter or butter and flour to speed this process up.).
- 3Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until pale and fluffy, then beat in vanilla. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well and scraping down the bowl after each addition.
- 4At low speed, beat in buttermilk until just combined (mixture will look curdled).
- 5Add flour mixture in three batches, mixing until each addition is just Incorporated.
- 6Spread batter evenly in cake pan, then rap pan on counter several times to eliminate air bubbles.
- 7Bake until golden and a wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes.
- 8Cool in pan on a rack 10 minutes, then run a knife around edge of pan. Invert onto rack and discard parchment, then cool completely, about 1 hour.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Best Birthday Cake (Smitten Kitchen)
Serving Size: 1 (1912 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 5731.0
- Calories from Fat 1910
- Total Fat 212.3 g
- Saturated Fat 126.2 g
- Cholesterol 1251.6 mg
- Sodium 5779.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 868.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.6 g
- Sugars 426.3 g
- Protein 89.6 g