Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From "The Muffin Bible" published by Penguin Books.. The custard powder could be substituted for some extra vanilla. When I make these with rhubard or pear, I add 1 tsp ground cardamom to the dry ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 190°C (375F).
- Sift together flour, baking powder and custard powder in a bowl. Stir in 1 cup sugar.
- In a separate bowl whisk together eggs, milk, cooled melted butter and lemon peel.
- Add milk mixture to the dry ingredients.
- Line muffins tins with paper liners. Put a few berries in the bottom of each muffin tin. Spoon batter over berries to 3/4 full. Put a few more berries on top. I poke then in a bit.
- Sprinkle over sugar. This gives a crunchy top.
- Bake 15-20 minutes.