1/9 Photos of Best Beef Stew
3 hrs 20 mins
2 hrs 20 mins
Company stew but the family loves it too, like all stews it is even better the next day, can be refrigerated and reheated. Serve with a light salad and soft rolls to sop up the gravy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb lean stewing beef (1 inch cubes)
- 1/2 cup seasoned flour, seasoned with your favorite seasonings
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 large Spanish onion, sliced
- 1 whole bulb of garlic, peeled, separated and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups port wine (or any good red wine)
- 12 whole baby carrots, peeled
- 1 rutabaga, peeled, cut into large cubes
- 1/2 head celery, cut into 1 inch lengths with leaves
- 6 -8 large mushrooms, quartered
- 2 dashes cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons creamed horseradish
- 1 1/2-2 cups water
- 4 -6 medium scrubbed do not peel quartered white potatoes
- 1Dredge beef in flour, seasoned with your favorite seasonings.
- 2Heat large Dutch oven (cast iron is best).
- 3Whisk together olive oil and dry mustard, add to heated Dutch oven.
- 4Add Spanish onion and caramelize.
- 5Add dredged beef, brown on all sides.
- 6Add garlic, brown, being careful not to burn.
- 7Add wine, deglaze the pot and simmer 10 minutes.
- 8Add carrots, rutabaga, celery, mushrooms, cayenne, thyme, Worcestershire sauce, horseradish Salt to taste.
- 9Stir and simmer another 10 minutes.
- 10Add water and potatoes.
- 11Stir and bring back to simmer.
- 12Preheat oven to 300°F.
- 13Cover tightly and slow simmer until potatoes are fork tender, about 2 hours.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Best Beef Stew
Serving Size: 1 (533 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 793.4
- Calories from Fat 225
- Total Fat 25.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 82.9 mg
- Sodium 657.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.5 g
- Sugars 24.8 g
- Protein 32.6 g