Cook2 hrs 20 mins
Company stew but the family loves it too, like all stews it is even better the next day, can be refrigerated and reheated. Serve with a light salad and soft rolls to sop up the gravy.
- 1 lb lean stewing beef (1 inch cubes)
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned flour, seasoned with your favorite seasonings
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 large Spanish onion, sliced
- 1 whole bulb of garlic, peeled, separated and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups port wine (or any good red wine)
- 12 whole baby carrots, peeled
- 1 rutabaga, peeled, cut into large cubes
- 1⁄2 head celery, cut into 1 inch lengths with leaves
- 6 -8 large mushrooms, quartered
- 2 dashes cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons creamed horseradish
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups water
- 4 -6 medium scrubbed do not peel quartered white potatoes
- Dredge beef in flour, seasoned with your favorite seasonings.
- Heat large Dutch oven (cast iron is best).
- Whisk together olive oil and dry mustard, add to heated Dutch oven.
- Add Spanish onion and caramelize.
- Add dredged beef, brown on all sides.
- Add garlic, brown, being careful not to burn.
- Add wine, deglaze the pot and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add carrots, rutabaga, celery, mushrooms, cayenne, thyme, Worcestershire sauce, horseradish Salt to taste.
- Stir and simmer another 10 minutes.
- Add water and potatoes.
- Stir and bring back to simmer.
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Cover tightly and slow simmer until potatoes are fork tender, about 2 hours.