Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Since tasting this stew, I threw out all my other stew recipes. It has a tasty tomato baste and is even better warmed the next day. Serve with biscuits.
- 1 lb stewing beef, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup diced potato
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup kernel corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- While heating shortening in large frying pan, stir together flour and seasoned salt.
- Dredge meat in this mixture and brown well in hot shortening.
- Add onions and continue to cook until soft.
- Place in mediun roaster.
- Add the rest of the ingredients in the order given and stir well.
- Cover and place in hot oven for two hours.
- Thicken with cornstarch or instant potatoes.
I made this recipe as written (using V8 juice), and I found it very lacking in seasoning. I added more season salt at the end but that still didn't make this a flavorful dish. The meat and vegetables were very tender, but the flavor just wasn't there. Adding parmesan cheese to each serving helped, but there are so many delicious beef stew recipes out there - I doubt I'll be making this one again.
I have tried at least 6 different beef stew recipes to no avail. This is by far the best. The tomato juice gives it a nice flavor and I used cornstarch, as the recipe suggested, to thicken the sauce. Scrumptuous! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe.
My husband and older son liked this a lot. I did too but I am not as into stew as they are. I used 2 lbs. meat and added a bay leaf and about 1/4 cup merlot. I didn't add the corn or the beans. For the carrots, I just threw in 2 handfuls of mini carrots. Thanks Dee. *almost forgot- I used a some tomato sauce plus some tomato juice (had the sauce left over)- worked out well. Seems like a very flexible recipe!