This is one of my favourite recipes for leftover roast beef - its delicious on a cold winter night!!If you don't have leftover beef, substitute with 1 lb of extra-lean ground beef, to be cooked with the onions. "Demi glace" or "au jus" can be found with the prepackaged gravies & sauces in the supermarket - you just won't get the same great flavour if you omit it!!
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced thin
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup barley
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cooked cubed roast beef (at least)
- 1 (1 ounce) package demi-glace or 1 (1 ounce) package au jus mix
- Heat oil in large Dutch oven.
- Saute onions and garlic.
- Add veggies and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add broth, water and barley.
- Cover the pot and bring to a boil.
- Add Worcestershire, spices and beef.
- Stir in demi-glace.
- Lower heat and simmer for 30- 45 minutes or until veggies and barley are tender.