Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
This is so easy & so darned good. I just made a batch for my Mom who is under the weather, she really liked it - I omitted the onion for her as she can't tolerate it & she actually had a whole bowl when the day before all she could eat was a half a pear & a cup of tea... I love this stuff & usually eat it for a week after I make a batch. It's that good... Be sure to get the bone-in short ribs as the bones add to the flavor.
- 1360.77 g beef short ribs (bone in)
- 14.79 ml beef bouillon (I use Caldo de Res)
- 411.06 g can diced tomatoes, organic or 4 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4.92 ml kosher salt
- 4.92 ml pepper, coarsely ground
- 340.19 g bag baby carrots (approx size)
- 5 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 head cabbage, chopped
- 453.59 g bag pearl barley (approx size)
- In a large stock pot boil 1 gal water, add beef ribs, tomatoes, onion, salt & pepper - continue to boil for 1 1/2 hour.
- Remove ribs and slice from bones, discarding bones. Chop into bite sized pieces & return to pot.
- Add carrots, celery, cabbage and barley and continue to boil for 45 minutes. You could use quick cooking barley for a shorter cooking time but I don't.
- Ladle up and enjoy!
- You can always experiment and add ingredients you prefer for a different flavor! When I don't feel like chopping cabbage I just put in 2 bags of shredded from Albertson's.