Recipe by neona503
This is middle east influenced and one of my favorite things to eat. Everyone seems to love it. Feel free to spice to taste. The rice is made seperately and is called Riz bi Sh'areh. It's the best.
Top Review by Michelle S.
This is a tasty, unique recipe. Love the spice blend in the ground beef mixture and the rice mix that it topped was the perfect match for it. It is economical, tasty and unique...just what I am looking for in a recipe these days. 5 stars!
- 1 lb ground beef (I like 93/7)
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes (preferably with garlic)
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt or garlic salt, to taste
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 dash cooking sherry
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup short vermicelli
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- - Saute onion and garlic in olive oil in large sauce pan.
- - Add beef to brown, after almost cooked mash with potato hand masher until finely ground
- - Pour in canned tomatoes with juice.
- - Add all spices
- - Simmer 20 minutes while rice cooks.
- - Add sherry last five minutes.
- - Saute vermicelli in butter.
- - After it has browned add rice and water and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- - Cover and cook till soft, you may need to add more water.
- - When done, serve beef over rice.