Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
My version of a recipe found on another site. This is my go to bean salad. Great over a bed of lettuce or over cold rice.Since manufacturers are constantly reducing can sizes, if your can sizes vary a bit that is fine. Prepare ahead because this should be refrigerated for at least 2 hours (8 is preferable). This is reflected in the cooking time.
- 14 1⁄2 ounces green beans, drained
- 14 1⁄2 ounces wax beans, drained
- 14 1⁄2 ounces kidney beans, drained
- 15 1⁄2 ounces garbanzo beans, drained (chick peas)
- 14 1⁄2 ounces black beans, drained
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red bell pepper (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup salad oil (I use Wesson Blend)
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- In a large bowl, toss together the salad veggies.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients until the sugar is dissolved and pour over the veggies.
- Refrigerate for several hours (if you think of it, stir a couple of times during this time). I think it tastes best after being refrigerated several days.
I made substitutions but I don't think they affected the flavor very much. I used red wine vinegar, olive oil, and only 1/4 cup of sugar which is still enough to make it sweet. I substituted green pepper, and added one red Jalapeno or Fresno pepper, chopped small, for a little heat. I resisted the temptation to add herbs or spices, This salad doesn't need them. Thanks for the recipe, it was just what I was looking for.