Recipe by xxoo
A GREAT basic tempura batter. We like to use it with fresh bottled oysters - it's a fantastic crowd pleasing appetizer, served with homemade cocktail sauce
Top Review by Nonnie4Two
This is a great batter. It was very crunchy and crispy, exactly what I look for in a batter. The boys absolutely loved it on the chicken I made it for. I'll definitely make this again, probably sooner than I want to (I hate deep frying!) as the boys enjoyed it so much.
- 2 -3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 teaspoon cayenne
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oil in big pot to 375 degrees.
- Combine eggs, water and horseradish sauce.
- Combine flour, salt, pepper and cayenne in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Dip food item of your choice in egg mixture, then in seasoned flour to coat.
- Fry in batches of 6 to 8 until golden brown.
- (about 3 minutes).
- Homemade Cocktail Sauce.
- 4 parts ketchup to 1 part horseradish sauce and 1 part wistershire sauce.