Prep 20 mins
Cook 336 hrs
This is the best sauce for barbecuing meats. It has some ingredients that others don't have and this accounts for its delicious taste..I usually double this recipe in the summer..
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons fresh gingerroot, finely chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup prepared chili sauce
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar, pkd
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 5 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- Sauce onion in oil in a medium saucepan for 1-2 minutes.
- Add garlic and gingerroot and sauce 3 more minuts.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring often.
- Cool sauce, then refrigerate in a closed container for up to 2 weeks.
- This recipes makes 3 cups of sauce. or enough for 5-6 lbs of meat.