Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
The secret is in the lemon juice.
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 5 -6 ripe bananas
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- Mash bananas, add lemon juice and mix.
- Cream shortening and sugar in largest bowl; add eggs and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with milk; Beat after each addition.
- Fold in bananas and nuts.
- Pour batter into two greased loaf pans.
- Bake 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Great banana bread! I cut the recipe in half and went ahead and used 2 eggs and I ground the walnuts into walnut dust so my little girl would find even a trace of them. She doesn't like the texture of nuts in her food. We loved the flavor. Thanks for posting! Made for Pick a Chef Spring 2009.