Recipe by cooking_geek
Another keeper from Alton Brown's show Good Eats! I don't make baked potatoes any other way now.
Top Review by SarahLeap
This is truly a wonderful recipe for baked potatoes. All the previous reviews say exactly what I feel too. I will never bake potatoes any other way. I also use olive oil rather than canola, I feel it gives it a bit of extra flavor. Thanks for posting!!!
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F and position racks in top and bottom thirds.
- Wash potato (or potatoes) thoroughly with a stiff brush and cold running water.
- Dry, then using a standard fork poke 8 to 12 deep holes all over the spud so that moisture can escape during cooking.
- Place in a bowl and coat lightly with oil.
- Sprinkle with kosher salt and place potato directly on rack in middle of oven.
- Place a baking sheet (I put a piece of aluminum foil) on the lower rack to catch any drippings.
- Bake 1 hour or until skin feels crisp but flesh beneath feels soft.
- Serve by creating a dotted line from end to end with your fork, then crack the spud open by squeezing the ends towards one another.
- It will pop right open.
- But watch out, there will be some steam.
- NOTE: If you're cooking more than 4 potatoes, you'll need to extend the cooking time by up to 15 minutes.