After being dissatisfied with many macaroni and cheese recipes, I experimented and came up with my own. Everyone that has tried it simply raves about it... I don't mean to toot my own horn but beep beep! (Serves 4)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups evaporated milk
- 1 (8 ounce) container refrigerated sharp cheese spread (if you can't find it, Cheese Whiz is an okay substitute but really go for the sharp spread)
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon seasoning salt (depends how salt sensitive you are)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 -2 dash cayenne pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Velveeta cheese (in small cubes)
- 2 -3 slices American cheese (reserve for topping casserole)
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs or 1/4 cup cracker crumb
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2Cook macaroni just until al dente and drain, set aside.
- 3While pasta is boiling, melt the butter in a large saucepan.
- 4Whisk in the flour over medium heat until smooth & bubbly (only about a minute).
- 5Stir in evaporated milk, cheese spread, pepper, mustard, seasoned salt, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce and cayenne pepper Keep cooking and stirring over medium heat until sauce has thickened (about 3 or 4 minutes).
- 6Add the shredded cheddar cheese and Velveeta to the white sauce and stir just until cheeses have melted.
- 7Add macaroni and stir until pasta is evenly coated with the cheese sauce.
- 8Pour into a casserole dish sprayed with Pam.
- 9Arrange cheese slices on top, sprinkle with cracker crumbs and dot somewhat generously with butter.
- 10Bake 15-20 minutes or until top is nice and golden and casserole is heated through.
- 11Let stand about 5 minutes before serving and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Best Baked Macaroni and Cheese Ever!
Serving Size: 1 (237 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 669.6
- Calories from Fat 369
- Total Fat 41.0 g
- Saturated Fat 25.1 g
- Cholesterol 117.9 mg
- Sodium 1415.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 30.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: