Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
After being dissatisfied with many macaroni and cheese recipes, I experimented and came up with my own. Everyone that has tried it simply raves about it... I don't mean to toot my own horn but beep beep! (Serves 4)
- 1 cup macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups evaporated milk
- 1 (8 ounce) containerrefrigerated sharp cheese spread (if you can't find it, Cheese Whiz is an okay substitute but really go for the sharp spread)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon seasoning salt (depends how salt sensitive you are)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 -2 dash cayenne pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Velveeta cheese (in small cubes)
- 2 -3 slices American cheese (reserve for topping casserole)
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs or 1⁄4 cup cracker crumb
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cook macaroni just until al dente and drain, set aside.
- While pasta is boiling, melt the butter in a large saucepan.
- Whisk in the flour over medium heat until smooth & bubbly (only about a minute).
- Stir in evaporated milk, cheese spread, pepper, mustard, seasoned salt, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce and cayenne pepper Keep cooking and stirring over medium heat until sauce has thickened (about 3 or 4 minutes).
- Add the shredded cheddar cheese and Velveeta to the white sauce and stir just until cheeses have melted.
- Add macaroni and stir until pasta is evenly coated with the cheese sauce.
- Pour into a casserole dish sprayed with Pam.
- Arrange cheese slices on top, sprinkle with cracker crumbs and dot somewhat generously with butter.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until top is nice and golden and casserole is heated through.
- Let stand about 5 minutes before serving and enjoy!
this is sooooo incredibly good! i thought it seemed like alot of work at first but it really wasnt and my family scraped the pan clean! yum yum!