Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
These donuts are lighter than regular donuts, baked not fried, and so easy to make. They will disappear before your eyes!
- Blend 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter with 1 cup of sugar.
- Add the eggs and mix well.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.
- Add to the butter and sugar mixture.
- Blend in the milk and mix together thoroughly.
- Fill greased muffin tins 2/3 full.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes, or until doughnuts are golden.
- Combine remaining 1/2 cup of sugar with the cinnamon.
- Melt remaining 6 tablespoons of butter.
- While doughnuts are still warm, roll them in melted butter; then in cinnamon sugar.
These doughnuts are great! I sent some with my boyfriend when he went to visit a mutual friend and he said they tasted like mini elephant ears! The key to making this recipe work is to ADD VANILLA EXTRACT. I put a little over a teaspoon into the full recipe (36 doughnuts) the second time I made them and the reviews were much better: more moist, better flavor.
First of all, cake like is exactly right. This is not a doughnut. My friends and I decided to call it a "snikerdoodle snack cake". It's more of a snack/short cake consistency. Done in regular size/medium muffin pans...one recipe yielded alot...so unless you want a whole buch don't double the recipe. Taste was ok but wasn't impressive.
this was very easy to make. I used equal instead of the sugar and it came out very good.my family taught it was very delicious.