Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe came with my 12-hole mini-doughnut pan and it does make really delicious doughnuts. I have tried some recipes from zaar but I found that this one was less cake-like and more doughnut-like. I glazed these with some chocolate topping and sprinkles and kids and adults devoured them! Note that you need to allow the dough at least 30 minutes to chill in the fridge.
- Sift flour with salt, baking powder, cinammon and nutmeg.
- Melt the shortening in a small bowl in the microwave and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs until foamy and gradually add the sugar while beating constantly.
- Add the milk alternately with the melted shortening and then add the vanilla essence.
- Add the flour mixture and beat until combined.
- Cover and chill in fridge for around 30 minutes until dough is firm.
- Grease a doughnut pan with 12 holes carefully.
- Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees celcius (450 F) with the fan-forced option on.
- Carefully spoon the cool dough into a large piping bag with a large plain nozzle and pipe a ring of dough into each hole.
- You can just use a small spoon to fill the doughnut pan but it takes ages and isn't as even. I used a disposable bag, filled it then snipped a hole at the end to pipe the mixture.
- Bake for around 10 minutes or until doughnut has risen and is lightly browned.
- Turn out onto a wire-rack to cool.
- Ice with chocolate glaze, doughnut icing (e.g.Recipe # 179685 ) or dip in half a cup of melted butter and then toss in a cup of sugar mixed with a teaspoon of cinammon.