Recipe by Lab Chef
This is my modified simple apple crisp. I recommend using a tart apple like granny smith, there is a lot of sugar in this recipe and the tart works better then a sweet apple.
- 5 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and large diced
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degree C).
- Peel, core and slice the apples into 1/4 - 1/2 inch pieces and place into a large bowl.
- Add to the bowl with the apples, the 1/2 cup sugar, corn starch and cinnamon. Stir until all the apple are coated with the sugar and cinnamon.
- Pour the apples into a 9x9 in baking pan, and pack down a little.
- The crisp:.
- In another large bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, baking powder/soda and salt. Mix well to incorporate.
- Add the melted butter and mix until all the dry is combined. Pour over top the apples and pack down a little.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for at least 1-2 hours.