Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This tastes very much like an apple pie only in cake form. It's absolutely my favorite apple cake recipe ever. Delicious served with ice cream or whipped topping.
- 4 medium golden delicious apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting cake
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Grease and flour a 12-cup bundt pan.
- Mix the apples, 5 tablespoons sugar and ground cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Combine 2 1/2 cups sugar, eggs, vegetable oil, orange juice, orange peel and vanilla extract in another large bowl; whisk to blend.
- Stir flour, baking powder and salt into egg mixture.
- Spoon 1 1/2 cups batter into prepared bundt pan.
- Top with half of apple mixture.
- Cover with 1 1/2 cups batter.
- Top with remaining apples, then with remaining batter.
- Bake cake in preheated oven until top is golden brown and tester inserted near center comes out with moist crumbs attached, about 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Cool cake in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Run knife around sides of pan and center tube to loosen.
- Turn cake out onto rack.
- Cool for 1 hour.
- Dust cake with confectioners' sugar.
- Serve slightly warm or at room temperature with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, non-dairy whipped topping or whipped cream.
- Store any leftover cake covered at room temperature.