Recipe by Sassy in da South
This tastes very much like an apple pie only in cake form. It's absolutely my favorite apple cake recipe ever. Delicious served with ice cream or whipped topping.
- 4 medium golden delicious apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting cake
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Grease and flour a 12-cup bundt pan.
- Mix the apples, 5 tablespoons sugar and ground cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Combine 2 1/2 cups sugar, eggs, vegetable oil, orange juice, orange peel and vanilla extract in another large bowl; whisk to blend.
- Stir flour, baking powder and salt into egg mixture.
- Spoon 1 1/2 cups batter into prepared bundt pan.
- Top with half of apple mixture.
- Cover with 1 1/2 cups batter.
- Top with remaining apples, then with remaining batter.
- Bake cake in preheated oven until top is golden brown and tester inserted near center comes out with moist crumbs attached, about 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Cool cake in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Run knife around sides of pan and center tube to loosen.
- Turn cake out onto rack.
- Cool for 1 hour.
- Dust cake with confectioners' sugar.
- Serve slightly warm or at room temperature with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, non-dairy whipped topping or whipped cream.
- Store any leftover cake covered at room temperature.