Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
VERY MOIST!! Popular apple bars with carmel frosting! The absolute best of all the apple recipes I have ever tried. Grating the apples helps let the apple juice ooze out and give flavor. Always a WINNER. So yummy you'll smack your lips!! A good item to have with your coffee at snack time!
- 78.07 ml butter, softened
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 59.14 ml brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1.23 ml nutmeg
- 2.46 ml cinnamon
- 473.18 ml apples, grated
Carmel Nut Frosting
- 236.59 ml brown sugar
- 59.16 ml butter
- 59.14 ml milk
- 44.37 ml powdered sugar
- 118.29 ml pecans, finely chopped
- Cream butter and sugar. Add beaten egg and mix well. Add vanilla.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon. Add to creamed mixture. Add grated apples.
- Pour mixture into a greased 9 x 9 inch baking pan. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- For frosting: Bring brown sugar, butter and milk to a boil. Boil only 2 1/2 minutes. Remove from heat and add sifted powdered sugar while stirring. Cool slightly and spread on bars. Sprinkle chopped pecans on top.
- Cool completely and cut into bars. Store in air-tight container to retain moisture.
- Note: If you prefer sweeter, add 1/4 cup sugar to batter of bars, but remember the apple juice from the grated apples will provide some sweetness. We enjoy it as is because the carmel frosting is sweet. Also, we have had them with no frosting and just a sprinkling of powdered sugar on top. Enjoy!
This were very good bars,however,I had trouble with the frosting setting up....I followed the frosting instructions as directed and had to add at least a cup of icing sugar to have what I consider to be
a glaze instead of a frosting....I even returned it to the stove at one point and allowed it to boil for 4 minutes,to no avail....I spread the glaze onto the bars and sent these with my son to a potluck lunch at his workplace...He told me later on that they were a hit!....I made these bars again for our family using a brown sugar frosting recipe that I had and they were very,very good...the kids loved them....What I did was,I boiled the brown sugar and butter for 2 and a half minutes,removed from heat;stirred in the milk and allowed to cool somewhat before adding a half cup of icing sugar.....As the frosting cools further,it begins to thicken....The kids want me to make these again....Thank You,Seasoned Cook for a very tasty recipe!
Absolutely heavenly tasting. It is kind of a lot of work but worth it. I've got to get these in the freezer quickly or else I will keep eating them until I feel like I am going to explode! They are that 'eat them until you get sick' good. I did use 5 heaping tablespoons of powdered sugar in the caramel nut frosting. Without the extra 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar, I felt the frosting would be too thin.
This was very good. My family follows a gluten free diet so we used The perfect flour blend by Namaste instead of flour. We also did not use the pecans because of a nut allergy. It was moist and perfect. I will be making it again and again.