This is my all time favorite recipe for bran muffins. You can make it as healthy as you want to! Very Good!
- Stir dry ingredients together. Set aside.
- Measure cereal and milk into mixing bowl. stir to combine.
- Let stand 1-2 minutes or until cereal is softened. Add egg and oil. Beat well.
- Add dry ingredients to cereal mixture only until combined.
- Portion batter into 12 greased 2 1/2 in, muffin cups evenly.Bake for 25 minutes at 400 degrees. Enjoy!
I loved these! I made no changes except I was low on milk so added some water to make it enough -- about half the "milk" was water. I like the fact that it uses whole wheat pastry flour rather than a/p, and I like to use just egg whites too. These turned out perfect even though I was a bit skeptical when I was scooping that batter into the muffin pans...the batter appeared strange and I feared it wouldn't raise well. But they turned out great in taste & texture. Now, I may use this as a base and experiment like others have with spices. Great with a little honey.
Great! I added 1/2 tsp vanilla, 1/8 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 cup plumped raisins and 1 tsp cinnamon as Theresa P suggested. I was really happy with the texture and taste! I think chopped apple would work well in place of the raisins, too. Definitely a 'keeper' - m husband ate two when he got home from work!
These are very good muffins, easy to make and not at all greasy. They came out with a slightly crispy crust, which was excellent. I added cinnamon and plumped raisins, as per Theresa P's suggestion. I might double the recipe next time. Thanks for sharing!