Recipe by southern_gal12000
Make your own bean soup mix instead of buying it at the store. It's a great gift for friends and neighbors for the holidays. Just measure out 4 cups of bean mix into a large jar and attach a recipe card. It is healthy and easy to make and filling. Can leave out the sausage to make it vegetarian and can even use ham instead of sausage. It's good for a chilly evening when family is just arriving for the holidays and you are too busy to make a huge sit down meal for everyone. You can keep it warm in the pot and friends and family can dish up whenever they want while so much is going on. My family always went back for seconds and thirds. Make some cornbread to go along with it.
Top Review by racerboy221_1769795
I modified the base and used home made chicken stock as opposed to just water. Soup was a nice meal overall. There are several other ways I will try and post back once they have been tested.
Dried Bean Mix
- 1 lb dried pinto bean
- 1 lb dried red beans
- 1 lb dried baby lima beans
- 1 lb white dried navy beans
- 1 lb dried great northern beans
- 1 lb dried black beans
- 1 lb dried black-eyed peas
- 1 lb dried split peas
- 1 lb dried split yellow peas
- 1 lb dried large lima beans
Bean Soup Recipe
- 2 cups dried bean mix
- 5 cups cold water
- 1 lb polska kielbasa, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped and undrained
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomatoes and green chilies, chopped and undrained
Directions See How It's Made
- (For the bean mix you can add to or take away any kinds of beans or peas you'd like to. Mix beans and peas together in large airtight plastic container).
- Soup Directions:.
- Sort and wash 2 cups of beans.
- Place beans in large pot.
- Cover with cold water 2 inches above beans and soak covered in fridge overnight.
- (Quick soak: Boil for 3 minutes, cover and let stand for at least 1 hour).
- Drain beans and add 5 cups of fresh cold water, diced sausage, onion and garlic. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.