Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is my mother-in-law's very simple version of Shepard's pie. My step kids and husband love this stuff! Makes great leftovers too.
- 453.59-680.38 g ground beef
- 2 (680.38 g) can vegetable soup with beef stock
- 425.24 g can whole kernel corn (drained)
- 425.24 g can mixed vegetables (drained) (optional)
- 425.24 g candiced stewed tomatoes (drained, or use small can tomato sauce, which is my preference)
- instant mashed potatoes (to taste)
- shredded cheddar cheese (to taste) or colby cheese (to taste)
- Brown beef- crumbly- drain.
- Mix beef, soup, corn, vegetables and tomatoes in a 9x13" pan.
- Make at least 2 cups of mashed potatoes (I recommend using at least twice that, but I like a nice thick coating), use the directions on the box.
- Spread the potatoes over the beef/veggie mix in the 9x13 pan.
- Coat the top with the shredded cheese (I use an 8oz bag of shredded cheese, but I like it nice-n-cheesy).
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes (or until cheese is hot and bubbly).
Thanks for a great quick and easy recipe. I followed the recipe exactly except that I used Ground Turkey, no salt added canned items and used Low Fat Cheese. Also I used the envelopes of Cheese Flavored Instant Potatoes and two of them made about 4 cups of potatoes and that worked out about right to cover everything. I served it with Crusty Bread. It was very tasty and I appreciate the recipe. It was easy to make and inexpensive.
This went together so easily. Simple and full of flavor. Lots and lots of veggies! I did use homemade mashed potatoes and only about 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheese. Very yummy. Thanks for sharing!
I made this today only I added some pepper and garlic powder to the meat mixture. It was easy to put together and makes a great dish. Thanks