Meghan Williams's Note:
This is my mother-in-law's recipe for mac-n-cheese. It is heavenly and disappears quickly every time it's made. Around the holiday's, she gets many requests to make it because it is without a doubt the most delicious mac-n-cheese recipe many folks believe they've ever tasted (I happen to agree with that whole-heartedly, which is why I'm sharing it with you!).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 -16 ounces pasta (can use any macaroni or macaroni-like pasta)
- 2 (8 ounce) bags shredded colby-monterey jack cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 (12 ounce) cans evaporated milk (may need to add a portion of a 3rd can)
- 2 tablespoons sugar, to taste
- 2 teaspoons Lawry's Seasoned Salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Accent seasoning, to taste (optional)
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1Cook pasta as directed.
- 2Butter 9x13-inch pan and sprinkle with some of the first bag of shredded cheese (2 tbsp or to taste).
- 3Drain pasta and leave sitting in strainer while mixing liquids.
- 4In a mixing bowl, whisk the two eggs until mixed.
- 5Mix in both cans of evaporated milk.
- 6Mix in sugar, Lawry's, white pepper, Accent, and cayenne pepper.
- 7Put pasta in bowl and add liquid mixture- liquid should cover pasta (or be within 1/4")- if it doesn't, add evaporated milk from the third can until it does. Add the rest of the first bag of shredded cheese.
- 8Stir until mixed completely.
- 9Pour mixture into 9x13-inch buttered pan.
- 10Spread second bag of shredded cheese evenly across the top.
- 11Cook at 350°F for 40 minutes or until brown and bubbly.
- 13GREAT TIP: To increase the moisture, cook your pasta the day before and let it soak in the liquid mixture (everything but the cheese). Leave it covered overnight in the refrigerator - the next day the pasta will have absorbed a good portion of the liquid so you'll need to use a couple extra cans of evaporated milk and perhaps 1 more egg, but the texture is oh-so lovely!
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bertha's "highly-Requested" Macaroni & Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (134 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 422.0
- Calories from Fat 193
- Total Fat 21.5 g
- Saturated Fat 12.9 g
- Cholesterol 105.4 mg
- Sodium 339.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 21.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Lawry's Seasoned Salt