Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Bert Greene calls this egg salad adult egg salad because kids have a tendency to stick up their noses at shiitake mushrooms and sopressata. This salad will be relatively dry compared to other egg salads. Depending on how wet you prefer, increase the amount of mayonnaise.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large shallot, quartered
- 1 large wild mushroom, cap and steam coarsely chopped (shiitake, crimini, porcini)
- 1 tablespoon italian hard salami, chopped (such as sopressata)
- 6 eggs, hard cooked and chopped
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon green onion, chopped
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add the shallot and mushrooms and cook until golden, about 5 minutes. Remove them from the skillet and finely chop.
- Saute the minced salami in the same skillet until crisp, about 5 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, shallot, mushroom, salami, and any residual drippings from the skillet. Add the mayonnaise and green onion. Mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste.