Recipe by jonesies
This refreshing ice makes a wonderful summer dessert after a filling meal, as it is light and cooling without the richness or fat of ice cream. Taken from "The Best Ever Low Fat" cookbook. Please note this recipe does include wine, so may not be appropriate for the little ones! Cook time includes freezing time.
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 cup blackberry
- 1 cup strawberry
- 1 large egg
- 3⁄4 cup plain yogurt (strained)
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons gelatin powder
- fresh berries, to garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the raspberries, blackberries and strawberries in a blender or food processor and process until a smooth puree forms.
- Press the puree through a strainer into a bowl to remove the seeds.
- Break the egg and separate the yolk and white into separate bowls.
- Stir the egg yolk and yogurt into the berry puree and set the egg white aside.
- Pour the wine into a heatproof bowl and sprinkle the gelatin on the surface.
- Let stand for 5 minutes to soften, then set the bowl over a pan of simmering water until the gelatin has dissolved.
- Pour the mixture into the berry puree in a steady stream, whisking constantly.
- Transfer the mixture to a freezerproof container and freeze for 2 hours or until slushy.
- Whisk the egg white in a clean, greasefree bowl until very stiff.
- Remove the berry mixture from the freezer and fold in the egg white.
- Return to the freezer and freeze for 2 hours, or until firm.
- To serve, scoop the berry yogurt ice into glass dishes and decorate with berries of your choice.