1/1 Photo of Berry Whizz
bluemoon downunder's Note:
A healthy and refreshing drink adapted from Murdoch Books' 'whizz it'. If you want a redder look, omit the kiwi fruit. I added that because I love the flavour of kiwi fruit. If omitting the kiwi fruit, also reduce the orange juice to 21/2 cups.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and chopped
- 1 cup fresh blueberries or 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 1/2 cups fresh raspberries or 1 1/2 cups frozen raspberries
- 1 kiwi fruit, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 cups orange juice, freshly squeezed
- ice cube (see notes below) (optional)
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar, to taste
- mint leaf, to serve
- 1Place the strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and kiwi fruit in a blender with 1 cup of the orange juice, and blend for about 45 seconds, or until smooth.
- 2Using a large spoon, push the berry mixture through a sieve, discarding the solids. (see notes below).
- 3Crush the ice in the blender (use the ice crusher button on the blender if it has one); add the sieved berry purée, the remaining orange juice and the sugar; blend to combine, then taste for sweetness and add more sugar. If you want your drink slightly thicker, use slightly less orange juice.
- 4Pour into 6 glasses and top each with a sprig of mint, or pour into a serving jug, and serve immediately.
- 5Notes: The original recipe suggests using 12 or more ice cubes if using fresh berries; and that if you are using frozen berries that you may prefer not to use ice cubes at all. My blender does not have an ice crushing facility, and I actually chose to use frozen berries partly because I didn't want to cause unnecessary strain on the blender! Secondly, I was making this just for myself, so the quantity I made was going to last for several days: after the ice had melted, the juice would probably have been too watery for my taste. And thirdly, the weather was just not hot enough for me to fancy SUCH a cold drink. Note on step two: I wasn't very happy about completely discarding the solids, so I have put them in the freezer while I think of where I can use them!
Browse Our Top Beverages Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Berry Whizz
Serving Size: 1 (244 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 116.7
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 19.6 g
- Protein 1.8 g