Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
My friend emailed this recipe to me as a quick, easy, no eggs/no milk dessert. It doesn't have to be for breakfast at all. The original recipe called for Cherry filling, but I prefer to use Blackberry filling. I changed the name to "Berry" because you could use any you wish. Enjoy!
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, plus
- 1 teaspoon margarine, softened
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 teaspoons baking powder, mixed together
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (21 ounce) can blackberry pie filling (or any flavor)
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease a 9 X 13-inch pan baking dish/pan. Set aside.
- In large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, and 1/2 C margarine with an electric mixer. Set aside 1 cup of the mixture.
- To the large bowl, add the 1 C of water and the water/oil/baking powder mixture and the vanilla extract. Beat well.
- Pour mixture into the prepared pan.
- Drop pie filling by spoonfuls over the top of the batter.
- Cut 1 T margarine into the reserved cup of flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle on top of pie filling.
- Bake 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
This was a great snack cake, and so easy to prepare, too. I used blueberry pie filling, but any flavor of pie filling would work well here. I look forward to experimenting with other pie fillings. My photo isn't that great I know, but the crumb topping didn't crack until well after it had cooled. So it looked scrumptious for the longest time (and I assure you, it is scrumptious). Thanks for sharing your recipe Adria82. Made for the Spring 2014 Pick-A-Chef event.
Delicious breakfast treat!!! Would be wonderful to serve a group for brunch. I scaled the recipe to 1/2 of the amounts, as it was just the 3 of us. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe. Made for Pick A Chef Event.
Yummy. Instead of using the canned pie filling, I used fresh or frozen berries and cooked them down adding a tiny bit of sugar. First time I made it three of us finished it off before we knew what was happening.