Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a recipe I made up. It was a hit with all the family at our New Year's Eve barbecue. The berry topping can be substituted for your favourite sweet liqueur, and the custard can be substituted with store brought, if desired.
For the trifle
- 1 swiss roll
- 1 -2 tablespoon strawberry syrup or 1 -2 tablespoon raspberry flavored syrup
- 200 g strawberries or 200 g raspberries
For the custard
- 1 liter milk
- 4 tablespoons cornflour
- 2 eggs
- 60 g butter
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 250 g ricotta cheese
- Slice the swiss roll and place in bottom of serving bowl.
- Sprinkle with berry syrup and set aside.
- To make custard:.
- Mix a little milk with conrflour to make paste.
- Add rest of milk, sugar, vanilla.
- Beat egg and add to milk mixture.
- Add butter.
- Put on stove.
- Mix with wooden spoon constantly until butter is melted, and custard thickens.
- When thickening starts, ensure sides and base are constantly scraped. When custard is nice and thick, remove from heat and leave to cool about 15-20 minutes.
- Add ricotta cheese.
- Spoon custard over Swiss rolls and berry syrup.
- Decorate top with berries, if desired.
- Chill for around 1` hour before serving.