Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
"Guests love these yummy white cupcakes topped with a cream cheese frosting. The garnish of fresh berries makes them perfect for a patriotic-themed party on Memorial Day or the Fourth of July." Submitted to Taste of Home by Judy Kenninger
- 5 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup butter, plus
- 2 teaspoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- fresh blueberries, and
- fresh raspberry, and
- sliced strawberry
- Place egg whites in a large mixing bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- In another mixing bowl, cream butter and 3/4 cup of sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk.
- Beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Gradually beat in remaining sugar, about 2 T. at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Fold a fourth of the egg whites into batter; fold in remaining whites.
- With a spoon, gently fill foil or paper lined muffin cups two-thirds full.
- Bake at 350 for 18-22 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For icing, in a small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth.
- Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar and lemon juice.
- Spread over cupcakes.
- Top with berries.
This is my recipe. You can use a white box cake mix to do this if time is short. Just whip the egg whites to soft peaks in one bowl, then combine with the other ingredients you have already mixed in another bowl. It gives them a much fluffier texture.