Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A yummey summer dessert
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 cup ice water
- 1 lb mixed berries, blueberries, raspberries (combination of cut up strawberries, cherries (halved and pitted) or 1 lb blackberry
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 -2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- In a food processor, place the flour, salt, and sugar and process until combined. Add the butter and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Pour 1/8 cup water in a slow, steady stream, through the feed tube until the dough just holds together when pinched.
- Add remaining water, if necessary. Do not process more than 30 seconds.
- Turn the dough out onto your work surface and gather it into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for about one hour before using.
- While the pastry is chilling, line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Once the pastry has chilled sufficiently, remove the pastry from the refrigerator and divide into four equal portions.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of pastry into a 7 inch circle.
- Place the four pastry circles onto the prepared baking sheet and cover with plastic wrap.
- Place in the refrigerator to firm up the pastry while you make the filling.
- In a large bowl, combine the berries, sliced peaches, sugar, zest (if using), and flour.
- Remove the pastry from the refrigerator and divide the filling between the four pastry circles, leaving about a 1 inch border around the outside edges of the pastry.
- Gently fold the edges of the pastry up and over the filling, leaving the center of the tart open. Press the edges gently so the pastry sticks together.
- Once all the tarts are assembled, cover and return to the refrigerator for about 15 - 30 minutes to chill.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove the unbaked assembled tarts from the refrigerator and bake for approximately 25-30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the juices are bubbling and start to run out from the center of the tart.
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool before serving.
- Serve with softly whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Cover and refrigerate any leftovers.