Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Oh this is soooo heavenly tasting! I found this one on a recipe book as I was searching for a nice kick to give to my toasts. The recipe appears as it is on the book but I substituted the ricotta for cream cheese with a bit of sugar and milk for smoothness.
- 2 cups mixed fresh berries
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2⁄3 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup strawberry preserves
- 3 large eggs
- 2⁄3 cup evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 12 slices French bread
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- powdered sugar (optional)
- maple syrup (optional)
- Combine berries and granulated sugar in small bowl. Combine ricotta and strawberry preserves in another bowl; mix well. Combine eggs, evaporated milk, brown sugar and vanilla extract in shallow bowl; mix well.
- Spread ricotta/preserve mix evenly over six slices of bread. Top with remaining slices to form sandwishes.
- Heat vegetable oil or butter in large, nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat.
- Dip sandwishes in egg mixture until covered on both sides. Cook on each side for about 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar; top with berries. Serve with maple syrup.