Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
I was watching Giada today on the food network and she whipped this up. It looked very good and pretty easy. On the episode she used only ricotta cheese and mixed berries and she warmed up the honey with 2 tbsp of butter. As I don't care for cooked strawberries I have changed the recipe to refect that. You can also use any bread that suits your fancy just make sure it is day old or at least a bit on the dry side.
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 ounces ricotta cheese, room temperature (about 1/2 cup)
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries, thawed and drained (about 10 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup honey, warmed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 loaf ciabatta, loaf crust removed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Place the cheeses in a large bowl and stir together with a wooden spoon. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, mixing until completely incorporated before adding the next. Stir in the milk, strawberries, honey, cinnamon, and bread. Pour into an 8 by 10 by 2-inch casserole dish. If freezing, cover with plastic wrap and place in the freezer for 1 day and up to 1 month.
- To bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Bake covered with foil for 45 minutes. Increase the oven temperature to 400 degrees F. Remove the foil and continue baking for 30 to 35 minutes.
This a great strata for breakfast! I have nade this quite a few time and always add a pinch of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and vanilla extract. Also, I use 4-1/2 cups of cubed crusty french bread. I find an 11 x 9 glass pan instead of the round baking dish works for me, cooking for 45 min. This is very versatile, I have added grated orange or lemon, and a bit of sugar to sweeten it up a bit. Thanks for Ceezie.