Recipe by breezermom
My Classic International Recipes Cookbook states: "Scandinavians consume Berry Soup as fast as the berries ripen. Some people eat this delightful soup with sour cream as an appetizer; others top it with whipped cream to make a dessert."
- 2 cups fresh berries (blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, or one 16 oz bag frozen berries)
- 2 cups apple juice
- 6 inches cinnamon sticks
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- whipped cream or sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean the berries, if fresh. (Or thaw berries, if frozen). In a sauce pan combine berries, 1 3/4 cups of the apple juice, cinnamon, and cloves. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Combine the remaining apple juice and the cornstarch; stir into the berry mixture. Cook and stir till slightly thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. Remove and discard the stick cinnamon and whole cloves.
- Spoon into 4 individual serving bowls. Garnish with whipped cream or sour cream, if desired.