Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
From the magazine "Delicious" August 2005
- 1 1⁄3 cups plain flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 115 g shredded suet (beef or vegetarian)
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons raspberry jam, warmed slightly
- 150 g fresh mixed berries or 150 g frozen mixed berries
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon demerara sugar
- custard, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl, then stir through the suet, lemon zest and caster sugar.
- Slowly add 150ml water, stirring until the mixture is combined.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured board to a 24cm x 36cm rectangle.
- Spread the jam over, leaving a 2cm border, then sprinkle with berries.
- Brush the edges with a little water.
- Roll up from the long edge into a log.
- Carefully transfer the roly-poly to a baking sheet lined with baking paper, seam-side down.
- Brush with milk, sprinkle with demerara sugar and bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- Slice and serve warm with custard.
This was just beautiful. I really liked the lemon in the dough. I used shave butter because I didn't have suet. But it turned out great anyway. Will be making this again.Thank you Made for ZWT III