Prep 15 mins
Cook 18 mins
I've made these several times for breakfast.
- 1 1⁄2 cups oat bran
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄8 cups applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups mixed berries
- 1⁄4 ounce chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 cup granola cereal
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place liners in a 12-muffin pan, spraying the liners with cooking spray isn't necessary but can keep the liners from sticking to the muffins.
- Combine the bran, flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Separately mix the applesauce, egg substitute, oil and vanilla.
- Mix the liquid and dry together.
- Fold the nuts and berries into the batter.
- Divide the batter between the muffin cups.
- Place the granola on top and light press it into the top of the batter to form a topping for the muffins.
- Bake approximately 18 minutes, until fully cooked.
These were pretty good muffins! I used raspberries and this flavor went well with the taste of the muffin. They baked up nice and tall, dense but not too dry. I would have like them to be a little sweeter so will probably add a little more brown sugar next time. The granola topping was great - yum!