Recipe by L DJ
Yummy summer time dessert with fresh berries. But also good with the frozen.
Top Review by godbreathed01
Hi LDJ Wanting to make this cake. Have blueberries from last summer and a fresh lemon from my dad's garden. Favorite flavor combo. But what do I do with the Blueberries? I'm going to put them at the bottom and pour the batter over the top. I'll let you know how they come out. My blueberries are no-cook freezer jam with no sugar added. They do have pectin. So we'll see. Update after making. Delightful. Lemony sauce over the blueberries with a light chiffon cake on top. Judy in WA
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup buttermilk (regular or low-fat)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, milted
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups blueberries (can also use black berries, boyesenberries etc)
- cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour, 2/3 C sugar, salt and nutmeg in a large bowl; add buttermilk, lemon rind, lemon juice, butter, and egg yolks stirring with whisk til smooth.
- Beat egg whites at high speed til foamy, add 1/4 C sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, beating til stiff peaks form.
- Gently stir 1/4 egg white mixture into buttermilk mixture, then gently fold in remaining egg white mixture; fold in berries.
- Pour batter into sprayed 8 inch square baking pan; place in larger baking pan add hot water to larger pan to depth of 1 inch.
- Bake 350 degrees F for 35 minutes or til cake springs back when lightly touched in the center.
- Let cool; serve warm, shift powdered sugar over top.