Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A while ago I made a dessert we really liked, except that it relied on commercial gelatin dessert and was too sweet for us. So I played around, and came up with this dessert, which I think is a great way to use fresh, ripe fruit (although I imagine canned would also work). I had strawberries around, but I think this would work with any berries, ripe peaches, mangoes, canned pineapple. You can customize it to fit your personal sweet tooth! I also like that is uses kefir with all of its wonderful probiotic qualities.
- In a small saucepan, combine the cold water and gelatin. Let it stand for about 15 minutes.(I think I like the smaller quantity of gelatin better, the larger makes a firmer dessert - possibly something you could unmold).
- In the meantime, puree your fruit. I used my stick blender, and it wasn't completely smooth, but that was ok with me. Taste the puree - you might want to add a little sugar or lemon juice to sweeten or perk up the flavor.
- Pour about half of the puree into the saucepan and heat over low heat, stirring frequently, until the gelatin is fully dissolved, about 5 minutes.
- Pour into a medium bowl and combine with the remaining puree and the kefir.
- Pour into individual serving dishes and refrigerate until it's jellied - about three hours should do it.
- Garnish with some fresh strawberry slices or whipped cream would be nice, if you desire. Also good just as it is.