Recipe by That is Dr House to you
You can use strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, boysenberries, or mixed berries. This is similar to the Basic Fruit Kanten recipe found on Zaar.
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the agar flakes and one pint of apple juice in a saucepan for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Wash and hull berries.
- In a blender puree berries with the remaining juice and maple syrup if you are using it. Set aside for now.
- Now, bring agar mixture to a boil then turn down heat and simmer, stirring frequently, until all agar is dissolved.
- When all is dissolved, allow the juice mixture to cool slightly, and then pour it into the blender with the pureed berries mix and blend briefly to combine.
- Pour contents of blender into your molds and allow to cool in the refrigerator until the kanten sets up.
- To serve:.
- If kanten was chilled in a baking dish, cut into portion-sized squares. Garnish with additional berries and desired whipped products such as whipped tofu cream or whipped cream depending on your diet.
- Note: One tablespoon of flakes should be used per cup of liquid unless using a citrus or pineapple juice then it might need to be increased because it is more acidic.