Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Created for RSC #12...Summer's juicy ripe berries take center stage in this lovely dessert. Sweet strawberries and plump blueberries are layered in a cool, creamy filling between layers of softened graham crackers. Each bite brings a touch of richness that'll make your guests think you've got Emeril hiding in your kitchen pantry! This recipe can easily be cut in half and can accomodate frozen berries, but fresh are preferred. Prep time does not include the 8 hours necessary to soften the graham crackers.
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) box graham crackers
- 2 (1 ounce) boxes fat-free sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
- 3 cups skim milk
- 1 (8 ounce) container mascarpone cheese
- 3 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole blueberries
- 2 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 (8 ounce) containerprepared whipped topping, thawed (Cool Whip Lite or Free)
- In a mixer bowl, beat 2 packages of vanilla pudding with milk and mascarpone cheese on low til blended. Set mixer to medium and beat for another minute til creamy and smooth.
- Set this mixture aside to set up slightly.
- Lightly mash sliced strawberries in a bowl to chop into smaller pieces. I like to use a hand-held pastry blender.Be careful not to puree them, but keep them in chunks. Add the blueberries and toss lightly.
- Mix in the 2 tablespoons of Splenda to the mixed berries for sweetening.
- Add the sweetened berries to the pudding and mix lightly.
- Empty the tub of prepared whipped topping to the pudding and berry mixture and gently fold together.
- Break rectangular graham crackers in half to make squares.
- In a 9 x 13" pan, evenly arrange a layer of graham crackers to cover the bottom.
- Pour 1/3 of the pudding/berry mixture over graham crackers and smooth out to completely cover all edges.
- Repeat step 9 two more times, being careful to completely cover all edges of graham crackers each time. You will have 3 layers of graham crackers, each followed with a layer of pudding/berry mixture.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or at least 8 hours.
- If desired, sprinkle lightly with graham cracker crumbs or garnish with extra berries on top. Do this just before serving. Keep refrigerated.
I liked the taste and flavors of this dessert alot. The appearance for me was not the best, but this was probably my fault. I used cream cheese instead of the mascarpone and so I"m not sure if this is why it never set up good. Consequently my graham crackers got soggy in no time. I felt that because of this it had to be eaten one to two days out at most. I used lowfat graham crackers but regular instant vanilla pudding. Also, lite Cool-whip. As stated, I loved the taste and so I'm glad I made this for RSC#12.