Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Adapted from "Mega Cooking" by Jill Bond.
- 1 loaf white bread
- 16 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup strawberry
- 1 cup raspberries
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Trim crusts off the bread and cut into cubes.
- Cut cream cheese into i/2 inch cubes.
- Spray a 13x9 inch baking pan with non stick baking spray.
- Arrange 1/2 of bread cubes in the bottom of the pan.
- Top with 1/2 of the cream cheese cubes, mixing the layers somewhat (you do not want smooth layers).
- Mix all berries together and pour on top.
- Top with remaining cream cheese and then ending with remaining bread cubes.
- In large bowl beat together remaining ingredients.
- Pour entire mixture on top.
- This can be frozen as is or baked at 350 degrees for 30 minutes and then frozen. Be sure to wrap and label before freezing.
- To reheat:
- from raw: thaw in fridge overnight then bake as directed above.
- from baked: cover with oven proof lid and bake at 375 degrees for 30-45 minutes or until completely warmed through.
- Serve with your favourite syrup.
The recipes left out one critical preparation step for this dish. You MUST let it set for at least a few hours (better overnight!) before you bake it! So pour the egg mixture over the bread, cream cheese & fruit, cover & refrigerate. Then bake covered at 350 for 30 minutes, remove the cover and bake for an additional 30 minutes. I used frozen strawberries, so I had to bake an additional 10 minutes to accommodate the extra liquid.
Also, a little hit of maple syrup made all the difference if you want some sweetness. I thought this was delicious!
I really had high hopes for this and ended up not caring for it at all. To make it better, next time I would use half the bread (and choose a sweet variety, not plain white), half the cream cheese, and add sugar. This was not sweet, except the sweetness of the berries, even though I used extra honey.
Changes I made: Only used about two thirds of a loaf of bread. Only used one 8-ounce block of cream cheese instead of two. Used frozen blueberries and frozen chopped peaches as that was what I had on hand. Results: It was tasty but not overwhelmingly so. I think it would really need to be jazzed up somehow for me to make it again. I think I would enjoy much more fruit and much less bread, and I could probably get away with using less milk and fewer eggs. Also, it took at least an hour to bake.