Recipe by * Pamela *
Adapted from "Mega Cooking" by Jill Bond.
Top Review by kaliczi
The recipes left out one critical preparation step for this dish. You MUST let it set for at least a few hours (better overnight!) before you bake it! So pour the egg mixture over the bread, cream cheese & fruit, cover & refrigerate. Then bake covered at 350 for 30 minutes, remove the cover and bake for an additional 30 minutes. I used frozen strawberries, so I had to bake an additional 10 minutes to accommodate the extra liquid.
Also, a little hit of maple syrup made all the difference if you want some sweetness. I thought this was delicious!
- 1 loaf white bread
- 16 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup strawberry
- 1 cup raspberries
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim crusts off the bread and cut into cubes.
- Cut cream cheese into i/2 inch cubes.
- Spray a 13x9 inch baking pan with non stick baking spray.
- Arrange 1/2 of bread cubes in the bottom of the pan.
- Top with 1/2 of the cream cheese cubes, mixing the layers somewhat (you do not want smooth layers).
- Mix all berries together and pour on top.
- Top with remaining cream cheese and then ending with remaining bread cubes.
- In large bowl beat together remaining ingredients.
- Pour entire mixture on top.
- This can be frozen as is or baked at 350 degrees for 30 minutes and then frozen. Be sure to wrap and label before freezing.
- To reheat:
- from raw: thaw in fridge overnight then bake as directed above.
- from baked: cover with oven proof lid and bake at 375 degrees for 30-45 minutes or until completely warmed through.
- Serve with your favourite syrup.