This is a light, fresh main dish salad that gives you a sweet begining with a tangy finish that makes you want to lick the bowl when you are finish. Ok, well maybe not quite 'lick' the bowl, but very close. ;-) I truly hope you enjoy!
- 16 ounces mixed baby lettuces and spring greens, I use bagged
- 16 ounces romaine lettuce
- 1 cup balsamic vinaigrette, I use Ken's Steakhouse
- 2 tablespoons sweet basil, chopped, 1 t if dried
- 1 1⁄2 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups mandarin oranges, drained
- 3⁄4 cup almonds, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup sweetened coconut, shredded
- 3⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a small bowl combine dressing and basil, wisk. Cover and allow to sit on the counter to combine flavors. Ken's Steakhouse makes a Balsamic and Basil dressing that also works great! If you choose that route omit this step.
- In a medium bowl, combine olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Add the chicken breast and toss to completely coat.
- Grill over medium heat until cooked through.
- Remove from the heat and tent with foil. Allow chicken to rest while putting the remaining salad together.
- In a shallow pan combine the almonds and coconut. Pop this in the oven and toast until golden brown. Stirring frequently so as not to burn the coconut and to get an even browning. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- In the meantime combine the romaine and the spring mix. Divide evenly amoung 4 large salad bowls, I use my pasta bowls for this.
- Cube the chicken into bite size pieces, or for presentation purposes you could cut it on the bias. Divide the chicken amoung the 4 bowls.
- Next layer: cranberries, strawberries then oranges. Sprinkle liberally with the almond and coconut mixure.
- Drizzle with the dressing right before serving.
- Served with a nice crusty bread just finishes it off. Enjoy!