Recipe by Chef Doozer
A friend brought this recipe to a brunch event and we all gobbled it down. It comes from an issue of "Cooking Light" magazine. It is a perfect addition to any breakfast/brunch.
Top Review by LonghornMama
Yum! The whole family enjoyed this for breakfast this morning. I used 8 slices of Orowheat potato bread, cut in half and stacked, so got 8 servings instead of 6. Made sure to soak both pieces of bread with the egg mixture before stacking. It was delicious, but the bread on the underside was a little too wet. Day old French bread really would have been a better option and I'll do that next time. By the way, you'd never think "light" when you eat this for breakfast. Love those Cooking Light recipes! Thanks for sharing!
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen blackberries
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen raspberries
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 (8 ounce) French bread (cut into 1 inch slices)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine first six ingredients in a 13 by 9 baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Combine milk, vanilla, egg whites, and egg in shallow bowl.
- Stir well with a whisk.
- Add bread, turning bread to coat.
- Arrange bread in a single layer on top of berries.
- Sprinkle evenly with 1 T. sugar.
- Bake at 350 degrees uncovered for 30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.