A lovely baked pancake that can be quickly put together without fuss. While this recipe calls for berries, pitted fruits -- peaches, plums, nectarines -- can be used with or instead of berries. If you enjoy tangy flavors, try substituting plain yogurt or buttermilk for half the milk.
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 3 1⁄2 cups raspberries (or a combo) or 3 1⁄2 cups strawberries (or a combo) or 3 1⁄2 cups blueberries (or a combo)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Pre heat oven to 425 degrees. Place cast iron skillet or other ovenproof frying pan in the oven.
- Blend together the egg whites, eggs, flour, milk, sugar, vanilla, and salt until smooth.
- Add butter to the hot skillet, swirling to melt butter and coat both bottom and sides of pan.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake 25 minutes or until until the Dutch baby is puffy and well-browned.
- While the cake is baking, mix the cinnamon and berries in a bowl.
- Spoon the berries onto the Dutch baby and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Serve hot.