Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is very versatile because you can use whatever berries are in season, (or on sale) or whatever berries you like!
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup nuts (any kind you like, chopped)
Cream cheese layer
- 16 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 ounces whipped topping
- 10 ounces your favorite berries
- 1 (4 3/4 ounce) packageraspberry junket danish dessert mix or 1 (4 3/4 ounce) package strawberry-flavor danish dessert mix
- 1 3⁄4 cups cold water or 1 3⁄4 cups apple juice
- For crust: Mix all ingredients together in a mixing bowl
- Pat into a 9X13 pan like you would pie dough.
- Bake at 275 degrees for 15 minutes.
- For cream cheese layer: Cream together cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer.
- fold in whipped topping.
- spread onto cooled crust.
- For fruit layer:.
- Bring water and danish dessert mix to a boil for one minute.
- Remove from heat and add in berries of your choice.
- Spread on top of cream cheese layer.
- Refrigerate until ready to eat!
These were lovely! The color of the topping was so pretty and vibrant, especially against the white cream cheese layer when they're cut. I could only find the strawberry flavor Junket mix, so I went with strawberries for the fruit. Although the addition of the berries to the hot Junket cooled it off somewhat, I was concerned that the hot fruit mixture would melt the cream cheese layer, so I allowed the fruit mixture to cool for a bit before applying it to the dessert. The flavor was good after only 30 minutes of refrigeration, but the fruit layer wasn't holding shape very well at that point, so the first cuts were pretty messy looking. After chilling for a few hours, the bars were cutting much neater. If appearance is an issue, then these should be chilled for at least 3 hours before being cut. Now I want to hunt down a packet of the raspberry flavor Junket so I can try a raspberry version. Yummy and different, thanks for posting! Made for PAC Spring 09