If you have fresh berries on hand you are in for a real treat if you make this cake. It's perfect for a party as it is not a cake that keeps well and probably should be eaten on the same day it is made, but wow, it is delicious!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 8 ounces unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup poppy seed
CREME FRAICH BERRY FILLING
- 1Preheat the oven to 350*F.
- 2Grease the bottom and sides of two 9 inch cake pans.
- 3Line the bottoms with parchment paper.
- 4In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, soda,salt and baking powder.
- 5Beat the butter with the sugar until light.
- 6Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 7Stir together the buttermilk and the vanilla.
- 8On low speed, add half the buttermilk and mix until incorporated well.
- 9Add half the dry ingredients.
- 10Mix well and then repeat until all dry and wet ingredients are mixed in well.
- 11Stir in the poppy seeds.
- 12Divide the cake batter between the two pans.
- 13Evenly spread it in pans and bake on the middle rack of the oven until a skewer comes out clean, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- 14Cool the cakes in their pans for 10 minutes, then turn out and cool completely.
- 15The cake layers can be made up to 2 days in advance; wrap well and store at room temperature.
- 16To make the filling; cook the blueberries and 1/4 cup sugar in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring often, until the sugar has dissolved and the berries have popped open and become juicey, about 5 minutes.
- 17Let cool to room temperature.
- 18Whip together the creme fraich, cream and remaining 2 TBS sugar until stiff enough to hold it's shape but is still smooth.
- 19To assemble the cake, cut the cake layers in half horizontally using a serrated knife, making a total of 4 layers.
- 20Place a cake layer on a serving plate.
- 21Spread one quarter of the creme fraich filling on top of the cake.
- 22Top with one quarter of the blueberry sauce and then one quarter of the raspberries.
- 23Place a second cake layer on top and spread creme fraich, blueberry sauce, and raspberries on top as you did with the first layer.
- 24Repeat with the third and fourth layers, ending with berries on the top of the cake.
- 25If not serving within an hour, refrigerate the cake.
- 26Once removed from the refrigerator, let sit at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving for optimal flavour.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Berry Creme Fraiche Cake
Serving Size: 1 (275 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 965.0
- Calories from Fat 518
- Total Fat 57.5 g
- Saturated Fat 34.0 g
- Cholesterol 263.8 mg
- Sodium 452.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 104.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 66.7 g
- Protein 11.5 g