Peggy L's Note:
Almond enhanced berry studded cake. Best shared with a very hungry crowd.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups mixed berries (blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, not strawberries)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled, for greasing pans
- 2 cups blanched almonds, whole (10 oz.)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups mascarpone (2 pkg. 8 3/4 oz)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest, finely grated
- 1Make Berry Sauce: Bring all sauce ingredients just to a boil in a 1 1/2 to 2 quart heavy saucepan over high heat, stirring occasionally, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes.
- 2Transfer to a shallow bowl and cool to romm temperature stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- 3Chill, covered, until cold about two hours.
- 4Make Almond Layers:.
- 5Put oven racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat to 350°F.
- 6Butter cake pans and line bottom of each with a round of parchment or was paper, then butter paper.
- 7Pulse almonds with 1/4 cup sugar in a food processor until finely ground.
- 8Beat together eggs and remaining 1 1/4 cups sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at high speed until pale, fluffy, and tripled in volume, about 6-8 minutes.
- 9Beat in vanilla and salt until combined well.
- 10Stir together ground almonds and melted butter (1 1/4 sticks).
- 11Fold one third of egg mixture into almond mixture to lighten, then fold in remainder, gently but thoroughly.
- 12Divide batter among pans (batter should be about 1/2 inch deep).
- 13Put 2 pans in lower third of oven and 1 pan in upper third (do not put directly above lower pans).
- 14Bake, switching position of pans (from lower to upper and vice versa) halfway through baking, until a golden crust forms on top and cake begins to pull away from sides of pans ( cake will rise, them collapse slightly) 18 to 25 minutes total.
- 15Cool in pans on racks 10 minutes, then run a small knife around edge of each pan and carefully invert onto racks.
- 16Cool completely about 15 minutes.
- 17Carefully peel off parchment.
- 18Make Mascarpone Cream.
- 19Stir together all mascarpone cream ingredients with a rubber spatula until smooth.
- 20Chill, covered.
- 21Assemble Cake.
- 22Center 1 almond layer on cake plate.
- 23Spoon 1/2 cup berry sauce onto center of layer. Spread evenly, leaving a 1/2 inch border around edge of cake.
- 24Spoon 3/4 cup mascarpone cream on top of berry sauce layer and smooth top (berry sauce will swirl into mascarpone cream).
- 25Repeat procedure with remaining almond layers, berry sauce, and mascarpone cream, ending with mascarpone cream ( for a total of three layers).
- 26Chill cake while making frosting.
- 27Frost Cake.
- 28Beat cream with sugar, vanilla, and salt in a large bowl using an electric mixer with cleaned beater at high speed until it just hold stiff peaks.
- 29Frost cake with whipped cream smoothing top and sides (there will be generous amount) then chill, uncovered, 1 hour.
- 30Just before serving, sift cocoa powder over top of cake using a sieve.
- 31Cook's Notes: Almond layer can be made ahead and cooled completely, then wrapped well in plastic wrap and chilled 3 days or frozen up to 1 month.
- 32Frosted cake can be made 1 day ahead (without cocoa powder) and chilled covered loosely with plastic wrap.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Berry Cream Cake
Serving Size: 1 (252 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 741.8
- Calories from Fat 414
- Total Fat 46.1 g
- Saturated Fat 21.4 g
- Cholesterol 195.0 mg
- Sodium 135.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 77.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 51.6 g
- Protein 10.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: